Frequently Asked Questions

What does OmniCAV stand for?

OmniCAV means Connected Autonomous Vehicles for All.

Derived from the latin word for “all”, the use of Omni operates on several levels; it relates to an inclusive project that will meet the needs of all road users, all end users and all situations.

CAV stands for connected and autonomous vehicle. The developments in connectivity and autonomy go hand in hand and are mutually enabling. OmniCAV will focus particularly on the aspect of autonomy, but through this will accelerate the deployment and development of vehicles that are both connected and autonomous.

Where is the project taking place?

Given the distributed nature of the consortium, work on the project will be taking place across the country. However, the main focus is in and around Oxfordshire. The county is a hotbed of AV innovation and the home of project lead, Latent Logic, and the project partners, Oxfordshire County Council, RACE and Arrival. On-road testing for the project will take place in Oxfordshire at the final stage of the project.

Who is leading the project?

Latent Logic, a spin-out of the award-winning Computer Sciences department at Oxford University, specialising in the simulation of realistic human behaviour within virtual environments, is leading the consortium.

How is the project funded?

OmniCAV was awarded £2.7m in government funding as part of a competition run by the Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV) and Innovate UK. This represents 70% of the total project cost of £3.9m, with the remaining 30% being contributed by the consortium partners. The competition was created to assert the UK’s position as a world leader in the future of mobility.

When will the project take place?

The project started in December 2018 and will run until November 2020, when the culmination of two years’ work will be presented.

Key milestones for the project include:

  • Public engagement event (Winter 2019)
  • Simulator developed (Summer 2020)
  • Public demo (Winter 2020)

Will there be autonomous vehicles driving the streets of Oxford?

Eventually, yes. The project will culminate in a AV being put through the entire end-to-end OmniCAV testing programme, from simulator-only, to controlled environment, to on-road testing. The project will only proceed to the final stage of on-road testing if the AV passes the rigorous testing in the previous two stages.

How will the project benefit Oxfordshire?

Oxfordshire County Council was the first UK authority to include autonomous vehicles  in local strategy and development plans. This project will go further in promoting Oxfordshire as a centre for innovation and research in the implementation of AV technology.

The project will specifically target different environments, including the rural and suburban areas where AVs can significantly contribute towards accessibility and road safety in Oxfordshire. The feedback and views of the local residents will be welcomed and incorporated as the project progresses.

Finally, this project strengthens Oxfordshire’s position as a hotspot for AV development, promoting the growth of locally-based companies (Latent Logic, RACE, Arrival) as well as other world-leading partners in the sector.

How will personal data be used and protected during the project?

If you have any concerns about how your data is being used or affected by this project, please get in touch directly.

For the data collected by individual partners:

  • Ordnance Survey: In accordance with Ordnance Survey’s GDPR policies, the project will ensure that no Personal Information (PI) will be retained within the driving simulation.Mobile mapping data capture across Oxfordshire will be carried out from March to April 2019, with further data capture planned for 2020. When mobile mapping data capture is taking place, the subcontractor, KOREC, will ensure that a sign is present that provides OS Customer Service Centre contact details so that members of the public are able to find out more if they have any questions or concerns.